Thursday, March 10, 2011

Putting Things into Perspective

Most people are often inspired by and look up to the the people of this world that achieve or have achieved greatness in their profession. And I would say that to some extent I am right there with them. Working hard and being successful in ones professional life is an important satisfying thing. And the people that accomplish this, are people that we can learn a lot from.

However I have come to realize that with too much professional success and too much of a thirst for money and the material things that money buys, comes a sacrifice in the form of ones family and personal life. For me it really is about finding balance. Working hard but still spending time with the people I love, being successful while still truly enjoying the amazing world that we live in. And when it comes down to it I would rather be truly successful in my relationships within my personal life than anything else. I will work my butt off while I am at work, but I refuse to take my work home with me. I want to be present in every moment and every relationship. We only have one life on this earth to live and so we better do it in a way that makes us and the people closest to us proud.


Here is a little activity that really puts this idea into perspective:
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.
4 Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series Winners.
7. Name at least five CEO's of major corporations.

How did you do? 
The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday.
And these are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields.
But the applause dies..
Awards tarnish.
Achievements are forgotten.
Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one: 


1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time..
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special!!
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.

Easier? 


The lesson:
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials..
The most money..or the most awards.
They simply are the ones who care the most.




Someone emailed me this a couple of years ago and I saved it because I thought it was something that I really needed to be reminded of. At times I get so caught up in the idea of keeping up with everyone else and wanting to show off that I think it is important to remember that while these are a super fun part of life, they are hardly what life is all about.
 THINGS GOD WON'T ASK ON THAT DAY

1.... God won't ask what kind of car you drove. He'll ask how you used your car to do his works.

2.... God won't ask the square footage of your house, He'll ask how many people you welcomed into your home.

3.... God won't ask about the clothes you had in your closet, He'll ask how many you helped to feed and clothe.

4.... God won't ask what your highest salary was. He'll ask if you compromised your character to obtain it.

5.... God won't ask what your job title was. He'll ask if you performed your job to the best of your ability.

6.... God won't ask how many friends you had. He'll ask how many people to whom you were a friend.

7.... God won't ask in what neighborhood you lived, He'll ask how you treated your neighbors.

8.... God won't ask about the color of your skin, He'll ask about the content of your character. 

When all is said and done I think few if any people on their death bed are thinking "gee I wish I had worked more in my life and made more money and bought more stuff", however what I do think they are thinking is that "I wish I spent more time with the people that meant the world to me and more time enjoying life and sharing God's love with others".  I truly feel the world would be such a different, better, and brighter place if people really stayed true to not only themselves but to God and the people closest to them. 

I hope you feel inspired to go be the best you that you can be. And remember even though we aren't perfect and sometimes we get off track and things get messed up and we get caught up in the things that don't matter in life, God loves you and forgives you. All you have to do is reevaluate and get back on track. It's never too late to start being the person you want to be.

Sending you love and the ability to balance all the things life throws at you!!!!
xoxoxox

1 comment:

Kori said...

Hey Melissa!!! Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my post today. I can't believe how much we have in common. You have a yorkie and like Disneyland, on top of teaching? Wow, we must be kindred spirits lol. Where are you located? I live in La Verne...we should get together for coffee sometime and get to know each other. I'm following your blog now and can't wait to see what you post next. Today's post was a real eye opener and I loved it.

Hope you have a fantastic day and don't forget to enter my giveaway. It ends on Friday. Kori xoxo